Love

Love

Monday, January 15, 2018

Family time Hawaii style

Over the years my parents have always helped me.  From childhood till now I know they'd give anything they could to make my life better.  Decided since I know they'd never do it for themselves that we would make them take a trip to Hawaii.  They were pretty excited when we mentioned it.  Dad loves history and wanted to see Pearl harbor.  Mom wanted to stay in a place where she could hear the ocean.  I think we got it done!
Mom and dad on the lanai.  We watched the sunset every evening

We flew into Kailua Kona on the big island.  This is our favorite island so we wanted to show them a little bit of it. We got a 2 bedroom beach house right on the ocean and not too far from town.  The house was perfect.  It was comfortable and had everything we needed for the perfect stay.

The first night we stayed in and got settled in.  Made shopping trips and all that jazz for groceries, etc.  The next day we took off for Hilo area and volcanoes national park.  We all enjoy seeing national parks and this was no exception.  We booked a room overlooking the volcano Caldera so you could see it glowing red.  We also had a dinner reservation at a restaurant overlooking the volcano.  Both were very nice and I think they enjoyed them.  Mom and dad wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning so they got up and went down to the observation area.  It had nice chairs to sit in and look at the volcano.  The girl at the front desk made them coffee early, even though they don't usually serve it till 5.  Poor girl must have known they needed coffee if they were up that early.  The drive to and from the volcano wasn't bad at all via the saddle road.  It was really nice and new without lots of winding and twists like the south route.  I'd definitely suggest a trip that way.  Here are a few pictures from that part of the trip.
Mom and dad in their volcanoes national park jackets.  They got cold up there. 

Mom with the crater in the background

Dad showing just how giant the giant ferns are
Dad inside the lava tube
A shave ice even dad thought was big

Smoldering 

Todd had to fly back to home for work and it was a night flight so he took dad over to Oahu from the big island and spent the whole day with him at pearl harbor.  Mom and I spent the whole day at the beach house which was literally on the ocean.  Heres the view from the house.  We saw whales off the lanai and just enjoyed a relaxing day.
Fun times at dinner

Watching the whales

I asked dad if his time at pearl harbor was all he hoped it would be and he said it was so much more.  I have been there also and i must say its a place to reflect on our countries history.  There are still bodies of sailors aboard the arizona on the ocean floor.  Its such a part of our nations history and i encourage you to visit if you are able.  Here are a few pics from dads day spent at pearl harbor.

Dad looking out over the sunken arizona



Dad enjoying the great weather day at pearl harbor

Another great thing we did was the luau at the king kam hotel.  It was moved inside due to weather, which is rare, but the show was still amazing.  I've got a few pictures from that to share as well.  It was my first luau too, so I really am glad I got to experience it.  I really enjoy Hawaiian music, culture and dancing so it was really fun.  The food was good too.  Lots and lots of food!  All was good although I still don't like poi! Ugh. I can probably eat my body weight in kalua pig though.



In all, the trip was good.  Mom got to.chill by the ocean and see whales, dad got to.see pearl harbor and Todd and I got to swim and participate in the jingle bell run with our friends.  It was a pretty relaxed time and nice to be able to have my parents join us.  I know they may not get back, but I know we will if we can.  I encourage all of you who can to visit the islands.  They are so rich in culture, fun and adventure.  It truly is a tropical paradise!  ALOHA

Me, Mandy and Wendy waving in the background
Humpys post jingle bell run

No comments:

Post a Comment