Love

Love

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Longhorn 70.3 Prep

My triathlon friends will know what the title of this post means. For my "normal" friends (haha).  70.3 is a 1/2 Ironman.  140.6 would be a full Ironman.  As far as I'm concerned I still cannot fathom doing a full Iron distance race.  Anyway, so I'm going to do Longhorn 70.3 in Austin on November 8, 2015.  My history with the longhorn began last year.  I was scheduled to do the race and had to drop out in the middle of my training due to an injury to my back that I needed to let heal.  The truth is I will probably always have to be careful with my back.  I have been seeing an awesome PT at Advanced Physical Therapy in Anchorage and I've really been feeling quite good!  I decided that I need to redeem myself and do this race.  So, I requested the vacation time, have been doing some pre-training stuff and am feeling really good.  So after a couple months of thinking about it I signed up. 

I've never been one to quit anything or give up because something gets tough and I don't plan on starting now.  I was feeling so good, training coming together, ready to get started on my official training plan.  So day one I ran a course that when I first started I ran in about 47minutes, with some alternating walking, etc...well, this time I ran it in about 30 minutes.  Talk about a confidence booster!  Also had a nice swim in the lake with Todd and another friend.  A great start!

The next day I'm slated to do a 1.5 hr bike ride.  I decide to get outside because it's summer and you get enough trainer time in winter.  Head out and ended up going about 1hour and 50 minutes just because that's where the loop took me.  The way back got interesting!  First I see a dead black bear on the side of the bike trail that wasn't there when I went out.  Thought about taking a picture, but no!  Then the last mile the guy was cutting grass so there was grass, sticks, and other debris covering the trail.  I'm about 50 yards from the parking lot and I swerve to miss a stick.  My tire slides on a large wet leaf and I lose control.  It happened so fast I have no Idea what actually took place.  All I know is I was laying on the sidewalk a little bloody and my right shoulder is killing me.  At first I could just lay there hoping no one was watching me, but definitely in pain.  I don't think I've ever stayed down after any sort of injury that long.  My shoulder was by far the most painful.  I thought it may be dislocated or even broken.  Can't say I've thought something like that too many times in my life.  I felt it and knew that it wasn't dislocated.  I got to my feet and still throbbing in pain I picked up my bike with my left arm.  I go to get on my bike to coast into the parking lot and realize that my tire is facing one way and my aerobars the other.  Hmmm no more riding right now.  It wasn't rolling either bc my brakes were pressed into the tire on one side.  While balancing the bike on my body I used my left hand to center the brakes so the bike would roll.  Voila' it worked.  So I hobbled my bike back to the car, got in and drove myself home.  All the while my shoulder is still throbbing.  I could move it through a full range of motion though, so at least no dislocation! 

My friend who happens to be a doctor was already supposed to be meeting me at the house after my ride.  I asked her to come over and patch me up a bit.  There were scrapes on my right shoulder and elbow that I couldn't wash the grass and dirt out of myself so she graciously washed them out for me.  Besides for pain I did notice that there was a slight prominence of my right distal clavicle.  Now, making a longer story shorter I texted my orthopedic surgeon friend, got an xray and basically she said I have a grade 2 shoulder separation.  Pretty much a bad sprain.  7-10 days full immobilization and 4-6 weeks for healing....NO TIME FOR THAT! 

So talk about feeling a little defeated in starting my new training plan.  I did take today off to do some resting and icing and pain control, but tomorrow I'm going to put the bike on the bike trainer and show that bitch who's boss!  I'll be riding upright because putting pressure on the shoulder is not good at this time.  So basically I'm going to do what I can when I can until I can get back to full training.  Riding the trainer,  running and swimming when I'm able.  Swimming will probably present me the toughest problem with the shoulder, so I'll wait on it till I'm really ready.  No need to re-injure or continually aggrivate things. 

Here's the xray.  Notice on the right side how the clavicle is elevated...bummer. But at least it will always stay that way...kind of a cool scar without the scar. haha.  And check out that amazing heart and lungs.  Most xrays I look at do not look like this.  haha





I talked with an old friend about it and she said something that I really like.  Champions Adapt!  She's right.  I'll adapt my life and training plan to keep on moving and finish my race in November.  The good news, my back feels ok.  If it can sustain a crazy fall like that going 20mph or so I hope I can count on it. 

Well, that's it for now.  Back to training tomorrow.  Because Champions Adapt!  Thanks Saundra!

No comments:

Post a Comment