Love

Love

Friday, July 17, 2015

70.3 Training and Fishing Fun

Sometimes it's hard to balance life when you have a big race in mind.  I feel this even more than normal this go around because it's a bigger race than I've ever done and I'm starting off with an injury.  I think it's important to remain positive about the situation and continue to move forward with what you CAN do.  What you can't do, you'll eventually be able to. It's all about having fun, pushing yourself and learning on the journey!


FISHING KENAI

Days off from training are important mentally and physically!  After all, I do live in Alaska and there's a lot of fun to be had.  This week was week 4 of my training plan which is a recovery week.  So I had a little bit of reduced workouts and a couple days off completely.  As an Alaska resident I am able to dip net for salmon on the Kenai river.  I had never taken advantage of this Alaskan privilege and  since I had a day off and a couple great friends who asked us to go fishing it was time.  It was a little rainy (ok a lot rainy) at first, but it ended up being a great day.  Not too much sun, not too much rain.  Warm enough and super fun.  Fishing was a little slow, but we still got a few fish to put in the freezer.  Not only was it good to get fish to eat all winter, it was a great experience.  As I was sitting on the boat waiting for the next fish to come aboard I was looking out at the beautiful scenery and thinking to myself that I'm so lucky to live here and be able to have these kinds of experiences.  Some people wait their whole lives for a trip to Alaska and I get to wake up to her beauty and experiences every day.  It was a long day on the river, but such an awesome day.  Thanks so much to our friends Brad and Mary who asked us to go along.  Here are pics from the day on the river!


Me fishing standing in the Kenai River
Captain Brad

Mary and Todd working hard


Look at that beautiful meat.  Thank you mother nature for what you provide

The boys working hard at cleaning fish

Todd Being Todd

Last catch of the day.  Mary's Baby Flounder...who was returned to the river to grow!


TRAINING NOTES

On a positive training note for the week today I tried swimming for the first time since my injury.  It went very well.  I wouldn't say I'm able to fully extend and really pull a lot of water, but going through the motions isn't painful so I'm going to call it a success!  Thanks to my friend DeAnn for asking Todd and I to go out there with her.  Who knew it would be such a positive for all of us.  Tomorrow will be DeAnn's first open water swim race.  She's going to do great.  A natural swimmer!  Here are a few pics of us from the day.  Fun times.

Todd, Myself and DeAnn Entering the water

Me and DeAnn Post Swim trial


No comments:

Post a Comment